Sunday, May 29, 2011

Aging with Grace: Better Bones and Balance with Yoga

That's the name of the yoga class I recently attended with my friend, Diane, at Kripalu Yoga Center. Hey, when I saw "aging with grace", I knew it was meant for me!!!!!

The class was taught by Betty Eiler and if anyone is a picture of aging with grace, it is Betty. At 76 years old, she has a well cared for body - slim and strong. Besides that, she oozes grace in her manner. As my mother would have said, "she has a nice way about her."

Betty studied with B.K.S. Iyengar and the Iyengar style of yoga uses lots of props - and I mean lots! We had bolsters, blankets, straps, blocks, chairs, etc. While I times I found this cumbersome, it surely is a way to help a student achieve a pose that otherwise might be too much of a challenge. In one session, Betty instructed us in how to fashion a strap into a "harness" of sorts. This particular use of the strap was most helpful in keeping shoulders back and down. It's a great tool for improving one's posture.

No comments:

Post a Comment