Sunday, June 20, 2010

Self-Acceptance

I'm preparing a class for some office workers and so, last night I spent some time reading from a delightful book called Desktop Yoga by Julie Lusk. This book was printed about 12 years ago but it is still a timely resource. It offers some clear, easy explanations of various yoga poses that can be done while seated at a desk.

In one chapter, entitled Twelve Yoga Secrets for Managing Stress, I found a message that seemed to be meant for me! Regarding self-acceptance, Lusk says "It is not helpful to be either critical or complimentary toward your ability to do yoga. It is much more important to accept yourself for who and how you are. Being yourself is enough. It is a lot less stressful if you are able to stop putting yourself down all the time..." (See yesterday's post) It really doesn't matter that I'm not as flexible as Gumby. What is much more important is that I accept myself - as is!

No comments:

Post a Comment