Friday, October 1, 2010

Where everybody knows your name...

I've recently attended a wonderful yoga class at a local senior center. Initially, I wandered into the class hoping to pick up a few tips or techniques that I could use in my own classes. But, I found so much more here. The instructor is warm, funny, and very knowledgeable. She makes a point of spending a few minutes with new students. During the hour long class, she mentions just about everyone by name - how's your shoulder today, Marie? - that looks good, Dennis - try to get your arm up a little more, Dorothy - and so on.

Although her class generally has at least 20 people in attendance, you feel as if she knows you. And, don't we all love it when someone remembers our name? And, as your name is used, other people pick up on it and get to know you, too. It's a yoga class, alright, but it kind of reminds me of Cheers...and I think I'm becoming a regular.

1 comment:

  1. I read somewhere once that knowing and using someone's first name often makes them feel important and valued so that's a really great quality in your new instructor...and one I know you have as well :)

    ReplyDelete