Sunday, October 25, 2009

Starting Over

We've just returned from an action-packed week travelling to New York City and Washington, D.C. We saw several shows, did lots of sightseeing, had fabulous dinners out, and walked, walked, walked!!!! Of course, I had every good intention of keeping up my daily yoga practice on this vacation...but this was not to be! I could tell you that I was busy - or tired - or pressed for time -and that would all be the truth. Regardless, I didn't practice and now I must start over.

So, today, I began with warm-ups and gently urged my body to open and respond. From there, I practiced standing and balancing poses. I can balance for a few moments now and realize that I'm not where I used to be...and that's ok. From here, I practiced sun salutations - slowly, deliberately, mindfully. At times my body would "creak" and I felt like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz needing oil!

But, gradually, showing myself a little compassion, the stiffness dissolved and I felt at ease. Starting over, in fact, is probably a good thing for yoga practitioners. It puts you in a position to take things slow, to breathe, to notice, observe.

1 comment: