Friday, July 9, 2010

Yoga - off the mat - in the car

After a minor mishap with my car earlier this week (I ran over a "blob" of tar and my tire was covered in it!), I realized that I need to pay closer attention when I'm driving. Awareness, noticing, breathing - are all vital parts of my yoga practice on the mat. So, as I was en route to my gentle yoga class this morning, I thought "why not bring your yoga to your driving"? I put my seat belt on, turned the radio off, elongated my spine, steadied my gaze, and began driving. All is well, I thought, and I gently inhaled and exhaled.

Then, I glanced in my rearview mirror and allofasudden, there is a huge trailer truck practically in my back seat!!!! Breathe, I thought, stay calm, notice what you are doing. I glance again and he's still on my tail. Nearing my exit, I put my directional signal on and bear off the ramp. The truck zooms past me. I slowly exhale.

In the past, this type of incident would have brought on some anxiety for me. But now, I realize that becoming aware of my breathing truly helps to calm my mind. Toot! Toot!

No comments:

Post a Comment